Wednesday, April 26, 2017

More Stuff I Ate

And I'm back with all the random meal pictures that I couldn't fit into yesterday's post. Here we go!

Two weeks ago, one of my co-workers came into the office with VEGAN DOUGHNUTS, Y'ALL. She'd just returned from a trip to L.A., where she picked up a dozen doughnuts from Donut Friend. She's not vegan, but her son is. And she's just super-awesome! When she came in and announced she had vegan doughnuts, I was the first one in the breakroom. She had a flavor guide that let us know what each one was, and we cut them all into bite-size pieces so we could try them all!


My fave was the doughnut sandwich stuffed with peanut butter and topped with salted chocolate, but the strawberry came in a close second. Some were yeasted, and others were cake. But they were all AMAZING. I probably ate the equivalent of three doughnuts at least (and this was after having a bagel for breakfast). Mind y'all, this was one week before I was already scheduled to do my juice reboot, so I felt pretty okay about just shoving as much junk food into my face as possible.

Speaking of juice, you can read all about last week's juice reboot here. But in addition to the 3-day reboot (where I drank only juices and smoothies until mid-afternoon before switching to solid, whole foods-based snacks and high-raw dinners), I also signed up for Kris Carr's 10-day #greendrinkaday challenge. Today was the last day of that, and I've been keeping up the juices and smoothies — once a day — every day. Here's a Tangy Trip Juice from Monday. The recipe is in Crazy Sexy Juice, but it's fennel, pineapple, celery, cucumber, romaine, and lemon.


And here's a Mint Cacao Chip Smoothie from Crazy Sexy Juice — fresh mint (from my garden!), banana, almond cashew milk, dates, cacao nibs, and Vega One natural protein powder.


I've been trying to find some healthy balance post-reboot. Like, if I'm eating something really decadent for one meal, I'll try and eat some nutrient-packed, healthier thing for another meal. One of my favorite healthy options lately are salads from Mama Gaia. Here's the Asia Salad with sesame baked tofu, Asian slaw, bell pepper, lettuce, and Mama Gaia sauce.


But I still want my daily treats! The day after my reboot, I had half of an Alternative Baking Company Peanut Butter Persuasion Cookie. These cookies are so good! I used to eat them all the time when I first went vegan in 2004 because they were about the only packaged cookies sold in Memphis. I'd forgotten how awesome these are.


When I was at Nashville VegFest, I picked up some Smiling Hara Hempeh. It's a soy-free tempeh made from peanut and hemp and seasoned with the most amazing flavors. I'm totally pro-soy, but I do think it's nice to vary up your protein sources. And the flavors on the hempeh are INSANELY GOOD. I used the Sea Salt & Black Pepper Steak Hempeh in this bowl with brown rice, steamed veggies, and tahini sauce. The hempeh is tender and well-seasoned. Definitely the best ever!


Paul's birthday was last Wednesday, but since he lives in Nashville during the week for work, we didn't get to celebrate together until this weekend. We went out to brunch at Imagine Vegan Cafe with Stephanie and her partner Paul. Imagine was offering a Vegan Omelette special! Mine was stuffed with vegan sausage, peppers, and onions and topped with vegan cheese sauce. Side of kale for balance. OMG, so good! Owner Kristie used FYH Vegan Egg, which I use at home for omelettes, but hers was much better.


I also ordered a Lavender Love Replenish Kombucha because booch.


On Sunday night, Paul and I invited some friends out to Loflin Yard for beers and fun. I toted along some mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream so Paul could have a birthday wish.



On Monday night, I had a meeting after work, so Paul grabbed us some takeout from Crazy Noodle. I went with my standard order of Mandu Guk — vegetable dumplings, Korean rice cakes, and shiitakes in veggie broth.


I haven't had time to cook lately, so lunch yesterday was an Amy's Tofu Scramble Wrap with salsa and nooch and a side of air-fried potatoes.


We had Vegan Drinks last night at Blue Nile Ethiopian Kitchen, and they have a new menu item — Tofu Tibs! I was so stoked to try these! Fried tofu and greens served with two sides and injera. I went with stewed potatoes and carrots and the house salad. Washed down with a Southern Prohibition Devil's Harvest.


And finally, here's a FitQuick Pizza Protein Waffle that I had for breakfast today after my run. In my effort to sneak in more veggies, I topped it with Muir Glen Garden Vegetable pasta sauce, roasted broccoli (made in the air fryer) and some nooch.


6 comments:

Hillary said...

It all looks amazing! What a great co-worker to bring vegan doughnuts!
I've never heard of hemp tempeh, but I did try the hemp tofu once and WAS NOT A FAN! The texture and taste were just not vibing with me. But I would try hemp tempeh.
Your dumpling soup looks soooo good, I want some now!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Your coworker is great!! My first thought when I saw those doughnuts was "how the hell did you choose!" so I'm excited to hear that they were cut up so that you could try them all!

Sarah said...

What an amazing coworker!! How fun that you all got to try them all. They look delicious! I'm impressed that they survived the trip home :) The dumpling soup looks so delicious and those cupcakes! Yum!! You've been eating some pretty amazing stuff!

Jennifer said...

Okay...I'm officially HUNGRY now! thanks! LOL :)

Everything looks AMAZING! Yummers!

Unknown said...

That is so beyond awesome that your coworker brought everyone vegan doughnuts!
That sesame tofu looks so amazing, i have to figure out how to make something like that... dunno how they get the sesame seeds to stick on so well?
That mandu guk sounds like the most perfect soup! I love korean rice rices and basically any and all dumplings.
Ttrockwood

Laryssa said...

I thought those donuts looked familiar! I love Donut Friend! Their s'mores donut is my favorite. :)