Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Get Fresh Memphis!

Too busy to cook? Or thinking about going vegan or vegetarian and not sure what to eat? Get Fresh Memphis has a healthy vegetarian/vegan food pick-up service that has you covered! Sorry to my non-Memphis readers: They offer meals for pick-up, but if you're far away in another state, this post may not be for you. But should you find yourself on an extended stay in the Bluff City, you can always call on Get Fresh for healthy vegan food!

A few weeks ago, Get Fresh Memphis contacted me to ask if I'd like to sample a few of their entrees. I'd already tried a couple of things because they used to sell some grab-n-go items at my gym, Envision Memphis. But I was more than happy to try more!

The delivery service is run by Nevada Presley (a certified natural foods chef and vegan) and Holly Guthrie (a personal fitness trainer and avid runner). Holly came by my office to drop off two salads and two entrees.

My favorite dish was the Homemade Lentil Burger.


This is the dinner-sized portion, so it comes with two patties (lunch-sized just has one) and retails for $15. It comes with a side of the best vegan curry mayo!! These patties were hearty and lentil-y. I enjoyed them just like this, over a bed of spinach. No bun. No heating. Yum!

They also brought me the Mushroom Miso entree.


This goes for $12, and it's definitely enough for two meals. Pictured is just one-half of what they delivered. It's a thick risotto-like dish made with crimini, button, and shiitake mushrooms, kale, onions, miso, and brown rice. When I ate this, it was still cool outside, and this was so comforting.

Get Fresh makes huge salads. This Spinach Salad was big enough for a meal on its own.


It's your basic spinach/strawberry salad, but it has added pecans and red onions. Served with a balsamic dressing. I don't see it listed on their menu, so I'm not sure how much it goes for. But it's really yummy! Very springy.

My favorite salad was the Zelda Salad — a big-ass dinner salad with roasted zucchini, cherry tomatoes, roasted organic sweet corn, adzuki beans, savory crumbled tempeh, spicy pepitas, and fresh pico de gallo. There's a creamy avocado dressing!


Oh man, I could eat this every day! It's one of those salads that you can tell was carefully crafted so that all the flavors meld in just the right way. The tempeh was amazing. And pico on a salad! So genius! This goes for $15, and it's worth every penny.


Here's how it works: If you want to order from Get Fresh Memphis, you can choose which meals — lunches, dinners, snacks — you want from their menu. Orders are placed on Thursdays for pick-up the following Tuesday or Thursday, your choice. Pick-ups can be arranged at First Congo Church in Midtown or DCI Galleries in East Memphis.

A lot of folks use Get Fresh to multiple meals throughout the week, but if you just want to try one or two things, that's fine too!

2 comments:

GlutenFreeHappyTummy said...

pico on a salad! hollaaaa! :D haha totally trying that this week

Jordan said...

Awesome! I'm so happy Memphis now has a pick-up service for vegans! Gotta say I love the way that Mushroom Miso looks, though it might not be the best right now that it's warm again. Thanks so much for sharing!